Dental implants, also known as replacement tooth roots, are considered the standard of care for the replacement of missing teeth, which can happen as a result of tooth decay. The implants can be used to replace single or multiple teeth, and in some cases, all of a patient’s teeth. They serve as a sturdy foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth. They are created to look and act as your natural teeth.
What Happens during the Procedure
During the procedure, the dental implant is placed into the jawbone, where it is allowed to gradually fuse with the bones over a span of several months. This fusion process is known as “osseointegration.” The purpose of the dental implant is to act as a replacement for a missing tooth and to hold either the replacement tooth or a bridge.
It comes as close to recreating a real tooth as is possible, since the implant is capable of standing with quite impressive stability on its own without affecting the surrounding teeth. These dental implants are typically made from titanium, which further promotes their popularity since the material is capable of combining with the jawbone without being determined by the body as a foreign object.
Benefits to Receiving Dental Implants
There are many benefits to receiving dental implants. Your dentist will first examine you to make sure that you are a candidate and also to confirm that dental implants are your best option for treatment. If it is determined that dental implants will be helpful to you, your dentist will set up a time for the procedure.
Benefits of getting dental implants include:
- Improved Physical Appearance – Dental implants are designed to both look and feel like your natural teeth. And since they fuse to your jawbone, they become a permanent part of your body.
- Improved Speech – Unlike removable dentures which can slide out or shift in your mouth and cause slurred or impinged speech, dental implants will not move.
- Improved Comfort – permanent teeth are much more comfortable than teeth that can slide or shift around in your mouth.
- Easier eating
- Improve your self-esteem by regaining your beautiful and confident smile.
- Improved Long-term Oral Health – Because nearby teeth do not have to be altered to accommodate the implant, it is easy to see improvement in long-term oral care.
- Durability – dental implants are very strong, and will be reliable for years to come. Many last a lifetime if cared for properly.
Dental implants are an extremely reliable, effective and popular treatment option used by everyone for replacing missing teeth. The practice is used to both improve upon the physical appearance of the teeth and also to restore proper function.
Installed by a trusted dentist in Greenville, SC, like those from Downtown Dental, dental implants can improve upon the appearance and performance of your teeth, as well as help you to re-gain your self-esteem and improve upon your long-term oral health care.
Dental Implants, WebMD
Dental Implants, MedicineNet.com