Top Three Signs of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth can sometimes become stuck under the gums or only partially surface as they erupt. When this occurs, the wisdom tooth has become impacted. The impacting of wisdom teeth can cause serious complications for your wellbeing and your dental health. Some of these issues include:
- Sinus Pressure, Pain, and Irritation
- Jaw Aches
- Deterioration of the Jaw Bone
- Disease of Neighboring Teeth
- Decay of Neighboring Teeth
- Gum Decay
Early detection will prevent these symptoms and, if needed, make tooth extraction easier. Since so many issues come with similar symptoms, early detection can be difficult. But not to worry- Downtown Dental can help.
We provide Greenville, SC the best in preventative dental care. Our skilled dentists help patients understand their diagnosis and decide on a treatment.
To get you started, here are three of the top signs of that indicate a wisdom tooth may be impacted.
1) Swelling- As with many dental issues, swelling of the gums will also occur when a wisdom tooth becomes impacted. There are many different areas where swelling can occur, including:
- Lymph Nodes
- Glands in the Shoulders or Neck
2) Bad Breath- Consistently bad breath that does not improve much after brushing your teeth can be another big indicator of impacted wisdom teeth. Bacteria, plaque, and disease become stuck under the gums and in the cracks of erupting wisdom teeth. Contact the dental experts at Downtown Dental if you experience any of the following:
- Continued bad breath after brushing teeth
- Food tasting strange, no matter what you eat.
- Bad taste in mouth, particularly after biting down near the wisdom tooth site.
3) Radiating or Throbbing Pain- Some amount of pain is to be expected when a tooth erupts. However, if you have continued, throbbing or radiating pain in any of the following areas, an impacted wisdom tooth could be the problem.
- Back of the Mouth
- Ear Aches or Pain
- Jaws Aching or Rotating Pain in Jaw
- Teeth Surrounding the Area
- Facial Pain
- Sinus Pain or Pressure
Bring Back Comfort
Wisdom teeth can easily become impacted. Luckily, there are many options, including tooth extraction, that will end your pain and prevent dental health issues. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms discussed in this article, don’t hesitate to call the friendly staff at Downtown Dental. You can reach us at 864-438-2646. We love keeping your smile healthy and happy.